Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Camp Days: 4 - 7

OMG! I NEVER thought I would find mosquitos that could compare to Alaskan ones but MAN! These Maine bugs are killers. I have a mozzie (Aussie for mosquito - which I have now adopted) bite on my neck the size of a golf ball. At least I hope it's a mozzie bite.

Anyway, as for camp stuff. I am now a lifeguard. Hooray! Yes I can give random stranger mouth-to-mouth that saves lives. Was a bit of a rough time of training with rain swims and such but I survived and do, honestly, feel confident in my abilites. Sweet!

Also had a night off on Sunday. Wa snice - they took the whole group of counselors into town for the evening. I spent my time chatting to friends I hadn't touched base with yet and wondering around Belfast, Maine. Cute little coastal town. Turned out to be somewhat of a 'test' too as it was to see how we could handle a night off and be able to deal with kids the next day. Unfortunately there is one person who didn't pass and was let go. Shame but just shows how important and serious the job is, even if it is going to be and supposed to be fun.

Monday also meant an entire day off. After breakfast I hitched a ride into town with a friend to buy some much needed 'warm clothes' since I have packed nothing but shorts and tank tops. Finally, 2 pairs of pants and 2 sweaters later I am feeling more positive about the warmth factor.

Tuesday more counselors arrived - mostly new comers. It was cool to meet the newbies (of which I am one but a more advanced one I guess). We are now having the 'generic' training of how to be a counselor and such. After the trainings my co-person and I meet to plan our community program. So far we have brainstormed a bunch of ideas and have some great things in the works. Trips to the coasts to clean up, shelters, elder homes, etc. Lots of fun and means we will hardly be round camp. How cool?!

As for the social side, I am getting along alright. Having fun with the counselors and bonding somewhat. Still miss all my friends from home but trying to enjoy myself too. Nice to have contact daily with people from home, helps me a lot. Really seeing that maybe this is an experience I would have better benefited from 10 years ago, but still, glad I will be having it now.

Still a bit nervous as to how it will affect my life when I get back - hoping nothing is changed much and I just go back on with it as normal. I have come to realize that most of my fears on that have to do with having never had good friends that have been there when I have gotten back from long journeys or a guy who 'waited' for me. Now I have a bunch of both and I guess I just have to learn to trust it all. Lots of trust going on here on my end, hope it pays off.

Overall, just really wanting the kids to arrive so the real fun can begin. Afterall, that is the main reason why I came here - to be with kids. Hope it turns out to be a great time.

Best log-off and head to bed now. Not sure of what tomorrow holds but sure some more program planning will occur.

1 comment:

  1. I hate Bugs! I do not have fond memories of camping in Alaska, in fact I was terrified of meeting a bear! In my earlier years, I had some dealings with a surprised male moose. That was a scary deal. I think camping here in VA will be pretty safe, I hope...

    ReplyDelete