Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Just Realized...

Recently, I have realized a few things. Some are things I am finally willing to admit, others things I am still embarassed about admitting, and still others are just random silly things that have come to mind will I have been contemplating other things. The list that follows is in no particular order and holds things that are to be taken seriously and not seriously. I will let you decide for yourself what those things are, respectively.

* Justin Timberlake is pretty cool. He is willing to make fun of himself and play around. I am no longer afraid or unwilling to admit that I dig him. Yes, I do.

* I am disgusted that male teachers face harsher sentences than female teachers in cases of student abuse. This is appalling and unsettling.

* I still have wild fantasties of being interviewed by Barbara Walters. I LOVE her specials and want her autobiography more than any other book right now.

* I have a natural skill in making mazes. I have started a 'maze club' in my afterschool program and have about 15 kids who come every week to solve mazes. I made one to just 'try it out' and have realized that my natural ability to solve even the most difficult of mazes quickly has also given me a natural ability to make mazes. I like doing it and plan to make as many of them as I can to have for the kids whenever they want.

* Wall-E is a fantastic movie that EVERYONE should have to watch. To me, it clearly shows what society will one day be like if we don't start making some real changes now - fat people unable ot wlak no their own 2 feet living in space because we screwed up Earth.

* I would describe myself as: the loyalty of Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings; the common sense and luck of Lucille Ball; the vocal range of Melissa Etheridge, Alanis Morrisette and Chrissie Hynde; the political leanings of Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Ghandi and John Lennon; the hair style of Shirley Temple; the dance style of Ellen DeGeneres; and a sense-of-humor that combines Ellen DeGeneres, Kathy Griffin, Whoopi Goldberg and Robin Williams - without the paycheck and audience. I say these things not in any way praising myself, though I like all of the people I named above. I say these things as a means to explaining why I am sometimes so confused, disorganized, anti-social, stressed, angry, outgoing, upbeat, positive and rarely hold the same mood or temperment for any period of time.

* Through lots of researching, reading and self-discovery I have realized that I am Buddhist. By that I mean I don't even have to 'convert' because I already believe that way, try to act that way and seek out the same things Buddhists do. It's amazing to me that now, after almost 34 years, I have found out what truly am. I have always felt it was the path for me but until recently I never realized how much. Everything I read, discover and learn match up so well with my own values and beliefs virtually no change is needed in my life to 'become' Buddhist. That said, I do plan to do a self-confirming ritual in the near future to make it 'official' in my mind, body and soul, but to my spirit no ritual is necessary.

* I tend to think and write everything as bullet points. It's how I roll. I have realized pretty much every blog I have written has been bullet points of one form or another. I am not sure if it ready well that way or is boring and lame. Either way, its how I do things and I am OK with that for the most part.

* I believe the natural default setting for my body is pescatarian (vegetarian who eats meat). Not sure why but it just feels right for me. I am tired of fighting it and trying to be anything else. My reasons are health related, society related and politically related. For me, those are 3 pretty strong reasons to give up the fight and welcome the veggies and fish.

* If my highschool reunion was right now I would certainly go and have plans to go to the next one. Having found a bunch of people on facebook I have realized that it would be nice to see them and catch up.

* Keeping in mind what I just wrote, it is amazing to me just HOW much I have changed since highschool. I also realize how much other people have changed too. It's all so great!

* Getting an IUD may have been a good call and will help in the long run but it has been one of the most agonizingly painful experiences ever. I hope that goes away soon.

* I have now forgotten other things I have realized and was going to write about. So I have JUST NOW realized I should stop bullet pointing til more comes to me.

3 comments:

  1. You are awesome Tiff! And very unique! I think your a mixture of everything! I like Justin to, I love watching him dance. I am usually not into younger guys, but he is hot. I don't know if you went to the last reunion, but I think I ruined it for some people, but not on purpose. I hope it's better this time. I think it is awesome to find out how people turned out. Your look great, I am not, I have grey hairs, I am fat, and I have abnormally huge breast! You are so lucky....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen -

    I didn't go to the reunion and if I had I would have been DELIGHTED to see you. Seriously! I think you are too harsh on yourself. You are a great person and I know I am not the only person who thinks that. Be your own cheerleader. Physical things are things that show a life that has been lived. That is something to be proud of and celebrate. Enjoy your imperfections, they make you you. And I know I wouldn't want you to be any other way than you are. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - I don't think I'll ever be a Timberlake fan. What can I say? NKOTB killed me of any such affections. ;)

    I totally agree on the teacher thing; sexual abuse is sexual abuse whether the perpetrator is male or female.

    I've had an IUD for the last 5+ years (it's a 10 year one) and I love it. The cramps etc. get better. Hang in there sweetie.

    And I never knew about the maze thing. Hmmm. Learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete