Friday, February 6, 2009

Thoughts on the News

Michael Phelps.... How sad is this whole situation? Before you agree, let me be clear why I think it is sad. Here is the guy who is 23 and an Olympic Medalist. He probably had to give up most of his 'normal childhood' in order to reach the levels necessary to even be considered for this type of achievement. He does it and he wins, 8 times no less. That is amazing and he is a hero. Then, after it's done, when there is no more heavy training or goals to be met (per se) he lets his hair down at a party. Suddenly, he is a horrible person and a bad role model. Come on people! First off, what type of friend takes a picture of you and then blasts it on the internet and sales it? Michael needs to avoid EVERYONE who was at that party and find all new friends. They are total jerks. That is like taking a picture of you while you are drunk or sad and then showing it to everyone. Except in this case, it could very well ruin his life and career. Nice friends! Secondly, he is 23 years old and probably finally living a part of his youth. Not everyone experiments with drugs and I am not advocating they do (I myself never did in my youth) however, it is a part of growing up - deciding to inhale or not. Just because someone chose to inhale does NOT make them any less of a hero. He is a hero for his Olympic achievements, not his politics, his lifestyle or anything else. Just because he won an award does not make him perfect and it is 'our' perception and desire for perfection which I think sometimes drives people to making 'bad' choices. Michael Phelps may not have made the right choice in taking a bong hit but who are 'we' to judge? Have we all lived lifes with our moral compass always facing north? No! And if you said yes, you were lying.... I am certain of it. We have all had too much to drink, took a bong hit, slept with the wrong person, told a big lie or countless other acts. We were just fortunate enought to either have friends who didn't document it and/or had no way of making a lot of money off of it and ruinging our careers and lives. He is a role model for young kids and I get that. But I honestly think it has been blown WAY out of proportion and I feel for him. If nothing else, seriously, Michael - GET NEW FRIENDS!!!

Sarah Palin and the PAC.... I don't know what else to say about this but that I hope the Republicans have her run in 4 years. I hope she runs and she loses more than any other person in history. I want a Mikey Mouse write-in campaign to get more votes.
Though I was not a Hilary supporter this is my dream world scenerio: Obama has an amazing 8 years (yes, 8) and Hilary makes amazing personal, political and professional leaps while being Secretary of State. She eats some humble pie, loses the chip on her shoulder, grows a pair and becomes more human (which were my biggest personal complaints against her incidently). Then SHE runs against Palin. Palin for the R and Hilary for the D. The next 'great race' for president would be between 2 WOMEN. Gender would hardly be a factor and people be forced to look at issues and facts. And Hilary would destroy Palin. She would win by a landslide and Palin would be so devastated she would move back to Alaska (unfortunatley) and live out her days in a rocking chair, talking to herself and her 15 cats. THAT is MY dream world!

Christian Bale.... He has this HUGE rant. Big time. Goes ape-shit on some poor grip guy or whomever. I mean goes NUTS. It's awful. And now he has apologized. That's nice. Good job Christian. However, you're still a pompous ass. I mean WHERE do you get off?! 'In character' and 'caught up in the role' is what he said in his apology. WTF?! I work with kids. Sometimes I am having an off day (like today) and I want nothing more than to stand up and scream, "Shut the F up!" but doing so would mean and immediate loss of job and probably totally ruin my chances of another kid-job in the future. But here an actor can say he was in a bad mood and in character and go off on someone and it is OK? That is wrong! Honestly, I think he should be fired. So what if he is a good actor or not, should ANYONE be allowed to treat anyone like they are a lesser person? NO! I don't care if you are an actor, a doctor or the Pope, everyone should be treated with kindness and respect. If you can't treat people that way then you don't warrant any kindness or respect yourself. In short - apology NOT accepted Christian. He was on 'The List' for many, many years. Infact, he was only 3rd on 'The List' but after hearing the audiotape of his outburst, I'm sorry but I would rather have sex with a trained monkey - it probably has better manners and more anger-control.

Hudson plan crash.... As someone who really hates flying (it is purely a means to an end) this story is completely inspiring. Often plane crashes mean total loss-of-life. But here is a situation where the plane crashed and everyone survived. Holy cow! That's amazing! And the ability of the pilot to control it on the water and everthing, he should win every award they can give him. And the flight crew - he landed it yes but they had to get everyone off alright. And the water was freezing, there could have been casualties as well there but there weren't. Seriously, that whole group is unbelievable. If I had the fame, money or power I would INSIST that he be the pilot for EVERY flight I take from now until I die. Truly.

Other topics coming soon in a future blog:
Thoughts on the woman having the litter of kids....
Brad and Angie wanting to have more kids....
and anything else I read about and have an opinion on....

No comments:

Post a Comment